Have you ever stepped on a scale and noticed you’ve maybe gained a pound or two? *Cough*
Yeah, yeah…I know, rhetorical question, right?!?
Well, since I left the comfort and predictability of the corporate world a year ago (and eleven days, but who’s counting), I totally put my biz ahead of my bod, and far too many times I have stepped on that same damn scale and watched the number creep up and up.
I even had a full conversation with myself a few months ago while staring down at those digits and I said out loud “what number do I need to hit before I make some changes?” …and sadly, I didn’t have an answer!
And then I hit it! Oh, I hit it haaaaaaaaaaaard!
I’m embarrassed to admit my actual weight as of January 1, 2014…but what I can tell you is that I’ve gained exactly 25 lbs this past year…30 lbs in total over the past two years!!
Whoa!!! And I should also mention that I’m only 5′ tall, so I don’t have a lot of “surface area” to hide the weight as well as others who were born vertically gifted!
Sadly, I have gotten REALLY good though at dressing to hide my weight gain!!
I’ve confided in a few peeps about my struggles and when I share just how many pounds I’ve packed on, the consistent response has been “but you look great”…which is polite and kind, but they ain’t lookin’ at my naked jiggly parts when they’re saying it.
Now, for all of you anti-scale people out there, I get it! My health shouldn’t be about a number…it should be about how I feel. But bottom line, I’ve been feeling like shite, and hitting that number was like getting an unbiased second opinion!
If you perused my New Years kind-of-resolution post earlier in the week, you know that I plan to put a lot of focus on how I “feel” in 2014… mentally, emotionally, and of course, physically! I want to feel confident…and ready for anything…like I have electric awesome-sauce flowing through my veins 24/7!
And on that note, I should really resolve to stop using “awesome-sauce” this year! *over it*
I’ve come to the realization that the first and biggest step to achieving my goal is to make my health a top priority!
So, how am I going to do it? How am I going to get the awesome-sauce a-flowin’? *Damnit, I can’t stop saying it*
Well, I’ve been hitting the gym again, drinking more aqua, avoiding crapola foods, and I am so fortunate to have the support and constant motivation of one incredible friend in particular…
Tracy Moore is the pinnacle of impeccable health and all around fabulousness!
We have tons of fun sharing the camera together on Cityline, but what you don’t know is that she has been an amazing role model and motivational mentor for me behind the scenes! She really is my brass standard for fitness and proves that it is possible to be a healthy, working mom.
Seriously though…we were both on the Sporting Life 10K Ambassador Team last year, and before one of the 5K training sessions leading up to the run, she casually mentioned that she had already smoked a 5K that morning! She is the real deal, folks!!
And yes, in case you were wondering…I did survive the 10K run (but I’m pretty sure Tracy lapped me…twice)!
So in my quest for a healthier lifestyle, I started looking to see if there was a way to hit my body’s reset button. I really wanted to start the new year with a clean slate!
I had heard about juice cleanses before, but had never tried one. I knew that Tracy had done them in the past with great success, so I reached out to a local company…
Full disclosure here…
I never set-out to score a free cleanse, but I was thrilled when Eliane (aka. The Guru) generously offered to let me try one for 3-days, no strings attached! In fact, she offered it to Tracy as well knowing that success is much greater with the buddy system.
For those of you who follow me on Twitter and Instagram, you’ve probably seen me post about the cleanse over the past few days, but please know that these posts were not sponsored, nor is this post I’m writing now! Eliane had no expectations when making her offer, and I certainly would never write about something unless I totally supported it! And I choose to support the Raw Juice Guru cleanse
The amazing thing about the program is that they customize the juices with your personal goals in mind. I filled out an extensive questionnaire and then Eliane created unique juice concoctions just for me. Oh, and did I mention that each daily quantity of freshly handmade organic juice was delivered to my doorstep every morning of the cleanse?! Yeppers, by 7am there was a fully stocked cooler waiting with my name on it!!
**8 juices in total per day including 2 small bottles at the front of the cooler.
Tracy and I both started on Jan. 8th and finished yesterday, and having her encouragement via tweets and text was definitely a huge determinate in my success. And speaking of success, if you’re a juice cleanse newbie, here was my experience in a nutshell…
- I was nervous whether or not I could actually do it, but super excited to start!
- When I read the first juice contents, I was scared to take the first sip… Spinach, pea sprouts, cucumber, celery, lemon, parsley…but it was DELISH! No word of a lie…it was seriously delish!!
- Of the 8 juices a day I had to consume (24 in total), there were only 2 that kind of made me wince a tad. Annnnd it was because I failed to mention that I’m not a fan of grapefruit 😉
- I felt amazing on the first day with zero cravings, zero hunger pains, and ZERO yearning for caffeine (shocking…I know!) In fact, I didn’t feel hungry once during the entire 3 days!!
- Total weight loss after day one… 3.5lbs
- I developed a killer headache in the evening, but popped an Advil and all was fab again. I had read Eliane’s FAQ page prior to the cleanse and knew that this was normal…it was my body reacting to all of the toxins being released.
- By the end of the day, I was zonked and it took extra effort to consume the final juice before crawling into bed…definitely the most challenging day
- Total weight loss after day two… 5.2lbs
- I woke up feeling AH-MAZING!
- I even went to a media event during lunchtime that was a proverbial sea of food, and I didn’t crave or touch a single thing!!
- *I found each day that I needed to brush my teeth more regularly (3-4 times). Why? Well, they got that weird fuzzy feeling…Eeew…and I realized it was because I hadn’t been chewing anything for days.
- Total weight loss after day three… 7.4lbs
SEVEN POINT FOUR POUNDS!!!
Holy jalapeno peppers…I feel completely rejuvenated, my skin looks better than ever, and I don’t feel like I want or need any of those nasty, gnarly foods I used to gorge myself on. In fact, I did a post cleanse grocery shop yesterday and stocked up on produce to make fresh soups over the weekend. I definitely feel like I have flipped the switch and I am so grateful to have given my body the gift of a healthy reboot!!
I hope to keep my diet as clean as possible moving forward, and I’ve already agreed to run the Sporting Life 10K again this year, so watch out Tracy, I’ll be hot on your heels 😉
And on that note…it’s time to go jump on the hamster wheel and WORK IT!